Sunday, May 31, 2009

Words of Encouragement from my MOM

Next weekend many of you will be doing your first triathlon. You will always remember your first one. It brings excitement, some anxiety, and lots of packing to make sure you don’t leave something behind, like a helmet or running shoes. I think I knew that once I was finished with the swim and I hadn’t drowned, (just kidding, but that is how I deal with anxiety) then I definitely could do the bike ride and the run even if I had to walk and crawl. We arrived at the transition area as the sun was coming up. I had to start thinking about getting in the water at 7am and how that would feel. Who swims at 7am!!! YIKES! I just have to stay in the water for about 30 minutes and then I am onto the bike! The Star Spangled Banner played as Christina and Ann Marie stood with me arm in arm at the start line. It was a very special moment for the three of us as we had talked daily for months about training, and gear, and this was it. When I came out of the water I saw Christina and Ann Marie cheering me on. Ann Marie had tears in her eyes. Tom was there too at this point. Transition was as practiced.

The bike was exhilarating especially as I cheered on the riders around me and I was so happy to have the water in the rear view mirror. After 12 miles on the bike, I knew that I could do this! I was a Tough Cookie and with that comes lots of sideline cheering. Crossing the finish line was an unbelievable feeling. I now was a Tough Cookie Triathlete! The family fans were there to cheer me on. Knowing that I had entered this race to benefit the Mark Felice Childhood Cancer Fund made the finish that much sweeter. We did it and I did it with my girls! What more could a mom ask for!! I know this year will be even better since so many of our friends and family are joining us. I wish everyone a great race, but just know, this is a personal race for many of you and one you will always remember. Good luck! And keep your head up! We are all cheering for YOU!

No comments: