Sunday, May 31, 2009

Words of Encouragement from CHRISTINA

There is nothing like your first triathlon. You will be a different person as you cross that finish line. I loved every minute of it...the anticipation, the dedication, the excitement, the accomplishment!

There are three reasons the Danskin meant so much to me:

1) I had reached this goal with the help of my mom, sister, and aunt. We all pushed each other through training and had a blast talking about our gear, strategy, outfits, and goals. Watching them start/finish the face was an overwhelming feeling. I remember being so proud, altogether forgetting my nerves and the fact that I was about to follow them into the water. Whether it was your mom or best friend supporting you these past couple of weeks, it will be a memorable day for you both.

2) People had told us the Danskin would be different than any other triathlon. It was. This is because it's a race for only women and they are here for a cause. It was a competitive race, but as my competitors passed me, they would shout out encouraging words. "You're almost there! Doing Great! This is the biggest hill, then you're done!" Why would the person trying to beat me want to encourage me to bike harder or run faster? That's what makes these women so special. Make sure you encourage others too!

3) Mark. Raising money for something he strongly believed in is very important to us. And even more important than the money, is keeping the memory and spirit of Mark alive. Ann Marie knew a sporting activity would fit Mark's personality well and I remember pushing it through each part of the race and thinking of Mark. I thought about him wakeboarding, playing school sports, and fighting cancer. I dedicated myself to the race, like he did in everything he accomplished. I'm sure you will have your reasons race day will be special and memorable. Just remember to enjoy the day and set goals for yourself (my goal was to finish).

No comments: