Sunday, April 5, 2009

First Week of Training

So the first week of training is coming to an end with so many more to look forward to.
Last year, being my first year to do a triathlon, i kept a training log of my daily activity each week. 
It was quite humorous to look back and see that in my first week it read:
Monday- biked 20 mins, 3 miles
Thursday- biked 10 mins, 1.86 miles
Friday- ran 1 mile

I didn't start swimming until 3 weeks in and that is even funnier to read:
first time at the pool: swam 20 mins- DROWNED! (within those 20 mins i only did 4 laps of the pool meaning 200 m, taking rests after every 25 m length)

I decided it was best if i took notes on how the exercise went and the majority of my swimming ones say "drowned" so no worries. I was using kick boards and flippers up to 1 month prior to the Danskin. 


Hopefully everyone is staying motivated and focusing on the weeks ahead. 

Things not to worry about:
- how far of a distance you are going in the first weeks of training because it is a gradual process to reach the final distance for the triathlon (it took me up until the day of the race to finally bike 12 miles!!)
- don't think of this as a chore but have fun doing it
- if you don't have the best bike, shoes, socks, shorts, etc...you will be fine. In the Danskin you will see women with mountain bikes to $2,000 road bikes, onesie swimsuits instead of tri shorts/tri top, tri running shoes to 5 year old beat up new balances, and the such.

If any of you have questions please feel free to email me annmariefrancese@gmail.com or my mom at annfrancese@yahoo.com.

No comments: